When an individual faces potential legal action, it is necessary to call upon a trained attorney. However, finding the best law firm is not a simple task of looking one up in the phonebook. Getting the best legal representation will take a little effort. Understanding what to look for and what questions to ask will help narrow down your choices.
Ask Friends and Family
The first and best place to start a search for the best legal representation to suit your personal needs is to talk to friends and family. However, before meeting with an attorney, even one that is recommended, make sure you have an understanding of why this professional has been recommended. Find out what they did for the person making the recommendation and why they would be the best choice for you.
Come to the Attorney Meeting Prepared
When visiting a prospective law firm, it is important to come fully prepared. Copy all documents and reports pertaining to your legal representation needs and bring them to the first meeting. These materials should include all documents relating to your specific case, such as bills, medical records, witness accounts, other contact information, as well as, law enforcement reports. Be prepared to describe your situation in clear terms that will allow the law firm to respond in a way that will help you decide if this is the best legal representation for you.
To Help Make a Decision Ask Questions
Before meeting with a law firm or attorney write down some questions that will help you gather the information you need to make a decision including:
- How long has the firm or attorney practiced this particular type of law?
- How experienced is the lawyer assigned to your case?
- How does the attorney or law firm believe your situation needs to be handled?
- What will be your participation in the case?
- What kind of communication will there be?
- Will a fee agreement detailed all expenses, billing and payment arrangements?
Conduct a Self-Evaluation After Meeting a Law Firm or Attorney
- After meeting an attorney or firm, it is time to ask yourself some questions about hiring legal representation, such as:
- How comfortable do you feel working closely with this firm or attorney?
- What is your level of confidence concerning the experience and skill level that will be handling your case?
- Do you understand the lawyer’s explanation about the situation and all that it legally involves?
- Did the law firm or attorney take the proper amount of time to examine the documents you presented?
- Do you have a good understanding of the fee agreement?
It may take several meetings with various law firms in order to make a decision about which one would provide the best legal representation. However, it is important not to rush into selecting a law firm or attorney, as the outcome of the case will largely depend on this factor.